The Home Owner Grant is available to individuals who are Canadian citizens or Landed Immigrants and reside permanently in
Grant Expanded for 2007: More Low-Income Seniors
The Home Owner Grant is extended to some low-income seniors, veterans and persons with disabilities whose homes are assessed at more than $950,000 for 2007.
To find out more, please call 250 356-8904 in Greater Victoria, or toll-free 1 888 355-2700 from anywhere in
Please note that you will need to submit a completed application form to the Ministry of Small Business and Revenue. Your application will be processed and, if you qualify under the expanded Home Owner Grant Program, you will receive a cheque for the grant as quickly as possible.
To find out more, please click here
Home Owner Grant Administration Unit
The Home Owner Grant Administration Unit was created to improve the administration of this property tax relief program. It's role is to:
- provide direction and support to the Tax Collectors;
- maintain a province-wide record of all grants claimed to facilitate an audit verification;
- review decisions of the Tax Collectors;
- ensure that all grants are paid to eligible claimants only; and
- recover public funds for grants wrongly claimed.
A Tax Collector is the person who collects taxes in each municipality, town or city. The Surveyor of Taxes in the Property Taxation Branch is the Tax Collector for all rural areas in the province. The Tax Collector approves or denies grant applications. The applications are included with the annual property tax notices which are mailed to property owners each year. Applications are subject to further audit by the Home Owner Grant Administration Unit.
The property owner's responsibility is to:
- read and understand the grant application;
- assess his/her eligibility before applying for the grant;
- provide supporting documentation if requested.